Sunday, August 2, 2009

Prompt 5

Remix Artists for the win!

Much of what I feel about IDers as remix artists has already been said on the appropriate thread on the discussion board. I did not wish to chime in with just a post saying: "I agree."

However, my opinion can be elaborated upon in my blog post and here it is.

I agree with the notion that there are very few original things in this world. Ideas, stories, what have you. Everything I come up with is definitely inspired by something or the other in my past experiences.

I call myself a cook - I can work with available ingredients to whip up new things.
I am not an inventor or even an explorer, attempting to discover new things.

How do I foresee authorship, copyright and open access impacting my future professional life?

Well, recently at a summer job at CIMES, I got to work with images in training production and got a little sneak peak at all the copyright issues that come along with image use.

I expect to respect copyright and obtain it as economically as possible when using graphics in my future productions. Authorship/ownership credit will definitely be included. That goes without saying.

Open access is good as far as the community's combined knowledge is concerned. There are definitely some things that are not for all eyes to see and open access can't be taken for granted as being entirely available to everyone. Allowing complete open access can throw up issues concerning privacy, confidentiality and expertise of testimony.

I also agree with people who say that sometimes creation is just for the act itself, and not for financial gains. If I ever came up with a creation that others wanted to use and would actually be useful to someone other than me, I see no problems with making it available to everyone without cost. I believe this sort of action will lead to higher attributions of authorship, if nothing else.
However, given that I'm not an inventor, chances of me coming up with something ubiquitously useful are slim.

Thus, as I approach produsage in my professional life, I will hold these tenets close to my heart. My ability to engage in produsage is only limited by my curiousity about new tools. I'm definitely curious about such things. My willingness will depend on who is asking me to do what I'm doing. If it's part of my job, most certainly, I will be willing.

Yet, as I glossed over the personal life aspect of the prompt, I will say that my desire to engage in spontaneous produsage will be low to none. Just too much work and not enough ideas.

Does that seem antithetical?

Maybe it will change.
I did consider editing a travel wiki with updated information on entrance fees to the Pacific Science Center in Seattle recently, as I was there a couple of weeks ago.
Maybe I will still do it. Let's see.

0 comments: